Cape Town has become more and more popular for weddings.
Since quite recently however, this has become very administratively complicated. It may take up to 6 months until the papers are ready to be sent to the original country as proof of marriage. For this reason we strongly advise against performing civil marriages in South Africa.
If you plan to marry in Cape Town you have the following possibilities:
- If you only desire a civil wedding you can usually book this through your hotel. They will then organise the marriage officer. We would however, strongly suggest holding the civil wedding at home. You can then still choose a lovely setting to repeat your wedding vows.
- More and more often we are asked by couples who do not yet want a religious wedding, but to have a special blessing spoken at their civil wedding. In this case please contact our parish office in Cape Town.
- If you would like to marry in the Catholic Church please contact the parish office in Cape Town as soon as possible. Please note the following:
- Your civil wedding should have taken place in your country of resisdence.
- According to the orders of the Archdiocese the religious wedding can only take place in a church. Please contact your local priest at home who can then after the marriage consultation transfer your marriage to Cape Town. Please bring your marriage papers with you to Cape Town, do not send it via mail.